See especially Stephen Railton’s Mark Twain in His Times at the University of Virginia
Links to Mark Twain’s articles in periodicals on the web.
Mark Twain in the news: new book on Twain’s animosity toward Isabel Lyon.
American literature scholar Joel Myerson on Twain’s Autobiography.
Mark Twain Collection at the Clifton Waller Barrett Library.
Special Collections at Vassar College includes letters to family members, W. D. Howells, and other figures as well as manuscripts.
Elmira College Center for Mark Twain Studies includes information on Twain and Quarry Farm, including pictures of Twain’s study.
The Mark Twain Papers and Project at the Bancroft Library offers descriptions of the collection and a searchable database of letters to and from Twain in the collection.
Samuel L. Clemens papers at Columbia UniversityTwain Pages and Sites
Mark Twain. From The Guardian (newspaper site)
Mark Twain House. This site includes pictures of books from Mark Twain’s library.
Mark Twain. This is the companion site to Ken Burns’s film, which was shown recently on PBS. It includes links, a chronology, selected works, and many pictures.
Twain Site on Pudd’nhead Wilson at the University of Virginia
Mark Twain Circular
Search the website of the Mark Twain Forum for messages on specific works.
Pictures of Mark Twain from the George Eastman House collection.
Pictures of Mark Twain from the Beinecke Library at Yale University.
Works Available Online
More links are available at the Online Book Page
Novels and Travel Writings
- The Innocents Abroad
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Life on the Mississippi
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn at University of Virginia (text and pictures)
- The Prince and the Pauper
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (1889)
Essays and Short Stories
The $30,000 Bequest, and Other Stories (HTML at Virginia)
Page Images at the Making of America Site
- About Magnanimous-Incident Literature
- An Adventure of Huckleberry Finn
- The Austrian Edison Keeping School Again
- The Canvasser’s Tale
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
- A Curious Experiment
- Detective Tom Sawyer. A Two-Part Story
- Detective Tom Sawyer. A Two-Part Story
- Edward Mills and George Benton: A Tale
- English as She is Taught
- The Facts Concerning the Recent Carnival of Crime in Connecticut
- Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses
- From the “London Times” of 1904
- General Washington’s Negro Body-Servant
- The Great Revolution in Pitcairn
- In Defence of Harriet Shelley
- In Defence of Harriet Shelley – I.
- Jan Szczepanik
- Jim’s Investments and King Sollermun
- A Literary Nightmare
- Loves of Alonzo Fitz Clarence and Rosannah Ethelton
- Luck. A Story
- A Majestic Literary Fossil (On a Dr. James’s Dictionary of Medicine )
- Mark Twain’s Map of Paris
- Meisterschaft: In Three Acts
- Mental Telegraphy. A Manuscript With A History
- Mental Telegraphy Again
- The Million Pound Bank Note
- Mrs. McWilliams and the Lightning
- My Late Senatorial Secretaryship
- Old Times on the Mississippi, I
- Old Times on the Mississippi, II
- Old Times on the Mississippi, III
- Old Times on the Mississippi, IV
- Old Times on the Mississippi, V
- Old Times on the Mississippi, VI
- Old Times on the Mississippi, VII
- The Private History of a Campaign that Failed
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (Dec. 1893)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (Jan. 1894) (Picture of Roxy and the children)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (Feb. 1894)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (Mar. 1894)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (Apr. 1894)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (May 1894)
- Pudd’nhead Wilson (June 1894)
- The Recent Great French Duel
- Royalty on the Mississippi
- Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion, I
- Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion, II
- Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion, III
- Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion, IV
- A Telephonic Conversation
- A True Story
- What Paul Bourget Thinks of Us (Note: For a critical perspective on this essay, see Max O’Rell’s “Mark Twain and Paul Bourget” in The North American Review, March 1895; see Twain’s original article and his rejoinder to O’Rell at Project Gutenberg.